Monday, November 03, 2008

More Three Milers

Since my last post Phil & I got a new mattress so our intentions of running on Saturday morning went right out the window. We were practically comatosed so we didn't wake up until midday. By that point we then had to go out and after that it was pretty much a lost cause.

So that was Saturday.

Sunday, however, we set the alarm, got up, got dressed and got out of the door before we could find an excuse not to.

We went for a 3 mile run again. We ran the long way to the local park, ran a lap and half, and ran back home.

Time 27:04
Pace 9.01

It felt good running in the park again. Especially at this time of year as it is very picturesque and the air is crisp. My favourite running weather. 

We went back again for today's run. Another 3 miles. We ran the shorter route there, ran two laps and back home.

Time 26:51
Pace 8.57

I felt like I put in the effort on both runs. I have lost a lot of my fitness so both runs felt tough. Tough on my lungs though, not my legs. 
It's pretty frustrating as I know how much I am capable of but it feels good to get back out there.
We just have to stick with it and not get side tracked. 

Consistency is the key!


1 comment:

Liam said...

Well done, keep at it and build slowly, don't rush into it - Believe me, I have tried to do things too quickly and suffered for it in the past. It's very frustrating, especially seeing how well you have borught your times down in the last 12 months, but patience is a virtue.

I use my own programme, built up over the years, based on loads of other ones I guess - They are all pretty much the same. Mine is a 20 week plan, split into three 6 week blocks, and a 2 week taper.

First 6 weeks is slow, easy build up - The base phase - Then the middle 6 I introduce Inervals and Speed work once a week, whilst the long weekend run is built up, then the final 6 weeks with the long run building to 20 +, and Hill work replacing the speed - And finally a 2 week taper to get myself ready for the Big Day.

Hope that concept helps - which plan are you using?