Friday, December 08, 2006

Speeding it up

The last time I updated my blog I said Phil & I were starting our marathon training by the end of November, well that was the plan at least. Unfortunately we have been a little lazy as we are still only running for fun at the moment.

We have kept our runs short & sporadic, although lately we have began to pick our lazy butts off the couch & pick up the pace a bit more. We have started training at a 9 minute mile.
Now I don't know how this is going to fair out to be honest as I am still quite new to running having only took it up last January, but if I want to beat my Dublin Marathon time then I do need to step it up a notch.
I am not saying that I will run Edinburgh 9 minutes per every mile (I would have to be Superman to knock nearly an hour off my time), but I am hoping that if I train at that pace & run as many miles as I can at that pace, then if, during the marathon, I need to slow down, stretch, tie my shoe laces or pee, then I know I will have saved time for myself.
That is one thing Phil & I never took into consideration with Dublin you see. We trained at a 10 minute mile every step of the way. We figured if we kept to it then we'd get in at 4:20 though realistically we assumed 4:30........ 20 minutes later we eventually crossed the finish line.

Though our training runs went as high as 21 miles, we always kept to our pace & finished at approximately the time we estimated. But what we never did on the training runs was keep the time going if a) we needed to pee, b) we got stopped at traffic lights & c) if we needed to stretch. (I know there are no traffic lights to worry about when running a marathon but during long runs they do come in useful if you need to stretch or take a breather). We assumed as we were not moving forward then neither should the time. I have now learned this is not the case & when training for a marathon, or any race, I should now always make time for any possible eventualities.
Our first marathon taught us a lot actually. There are many factors that I have taken into account that I will need to consider in my next marathon. I think that is what your first marathon is all about though. It is a learning curve. You learn about the type of marathon runner you are & what training is required.
And above all else, it's a marathon to enjoy.

With all this in mind we are now ready to start our training. We have a training plan that we are 99% certain we are going to train by.

But before that Phil & I are having a bit of fun this Sunday running the Port Tunnel 10k in Dublin.
I say fun as there will be 10,000 running/ walking through a tunnel so I can not imagine the pace being very fast. That is ok by me though as I just want to enjoy the experience of it & soak up the atmosphere around me. I will let you know how it goes anyway!

Liam, we might see you there though it will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack! We are bib numbers 2112 & 2111 just in case you can spot us.

1 comment:

Jolene said...

You mentioned that you learned a lot in your first marathon, any chance you'd be willing to share what some of things are? I'm doing my first marathon in a few months and would love the fresh perspective! Thank you!