Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Is it time for a name change?!

As of yesterday, Phil & I are now entrants into the Edinburgh Marathon 2007.
(I did tell you we caught the marathon bug & even 2 weeks after our first Marathon I still believe it).

We chose Edinburgh for a few reasons:

  • Although we want to run Dublin next year, we can't wait a whole 12 months so decided on another marathon in between.
  • As tempting as the Paris Marathon is, we are only new to marathon running & decided we would feel more at home running in either the UK or Ireland.
  • Neither of us have been there before

The marathon is on 27th May so we better get cracking the whip if we want to shave a good chunk of time from our first marathon.

Both of us are back running this evening, though we did run separately on Saturday. Our first run for both of us since running 26.2 2 weeks & 1 day ago.

I ran with my friend Heidi who has gotten into running in the gym & wanted a chance to run outdoors (she won't run outdoors on her own) so we went to the Phoenix Park for a leisurely 3 miles. To be honest, I expected after a week and a half off that I would have lost all the fitness I had & not even be able to run 3 minutes, let alone miles (I don't know why I thought this because it's a bit out there as far as thoughts go), but to my surprise, I ran with no problems at all. My legs were surprisingly supple & my lungs weren't like my Granddad's after all. Overall, it wasn't as scary as I had been telling myself. I felt great afterwards too AND I am now even more looking forward to training for & conquering my next marathon.

Now I know I said Phil & I are training tonight, but that is not part of our marathon training. For the next 2 weeks, training will be casual & then from then up until May 27th, we'll be working hard, and harder than ever. We will be training from a schedule to suit our expectations, though for now that is still under construction. I will, however, post our schedule when it is complete as I would welcome any hints or tips that you may want to suggest.

Wish us luck on our new marathon journey!

Ps.... with the Dublin City Marathon 2006 over now.... do I need a blog name change?!

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Glad to hear you're keeping up the running! I have to warn you about winter training though, the cold and dark can sometimes get to you. You will need a light source.

Liam said...

I'm back in the world of the living - and blogging.

Great to see your plans. I'll be running the same weekend you guys are in Edinburgh, so our progress can be compared as we move into 07, although you're way aheqad of me already - I must shed weight!

Sundays in the Park over the winter months anyone?

I'm sure you can come up with a snappy name change - "One Down, many to go"

Mmem said...

Very cool that you have a new goal! Hmm, a name change? That is a tough question, gl with your decision!

Love2Run said...

Or 'Sarah the Marathon Addict', good luck with your new training program. Thomas and I have had good luck with Pfitzinger's plans.